A friend of mine on Twitter @researchgoddess sent me these questions to answer as part of an interview – so I am posting the interview here, and she’ll post hers on her site. Enjoy!
1. How long have you been working in internet marketing and what attracted you to it?
I started in publishing in 1995 and launched magazine websites. In 2000 I started at MaineToday.com as Audience Development Manager, primarily focused on driving new traffic to the site. Thanks to @seosylph for inspiration, I started SEO full-time less than a year ago with HMG Search Marketing, a boutique search agency in Portland, ME. So I’m one of the few with a strong marketing background, not a tech background. I can mess my way around code, but definitely not like some of the SEO people I follow.
2. In your opinion, what’s the measure of a good SEO/PR/Blogging professional?
A good SEO professional is someone who is well-versed in Webmaster guidelines, understands client goals, and does not take themselves too seriously. There’s always more to learn.
3. Whose blog do you read the most?
There are so many it’s hard to pick just one, it really depends what mood I’m in, or what kind of information I’m looking for. I’m a fan of @ericlander and @leeodden Top Rank Marketing Blog . I also enjoy @lisabarone, she is a gorgeous writer.
4. What’s your best “SEO secret” or blogging tactic?
There’s a secret? Please tell me! Seriously, I started blogging in the past year – and it is work, but so far it’s paid off in terms of at least establishing a presence for myself. That sounds egocentric, however it’s necessary in any professional realm. Learning and not being intimidated to write is probably the best tactic I can share. If you’re well-read, you can share valuable “info snacks” (that’s an Avinash Kaushik term) presenting what kind of information is important to you.
5. Search engine algorithms are getting smarter, and a lot of people predict Organic SEO services will become obsolete. How do you plan to adapt?
I have a hard time believing it will become obsolete. Websites are still being built, and they need to be built well. Granted the technology changes and gets better, but it’s only as good as the people behind it. SEO is also about marketing, people for get that. Businesses need to connect with customers, and as long as there’s money being spent, marketing is not going to go away.
6. Please describe the biggest challenge you face in your current job.
My biggest challenge right now is keeping up. Managing multiple clients with different needs requires changing gears often. I also would like a great way to pitch social media as part of an SEO package. Just haven’t gotten around to doing that.
7. Do you have any advice for someone who is interested in SEO, but doesn’t have a background in it, on how to get started in this field?
The only way to get to know it is to start learning and practicing SEO on a regular basis, network with knowledgeable people. The best way to do this is to start a blog, learn analytics and get on Twitter. I’ve discovered and networked with some fabulous people who are generous with advice.
8. If you could rank for any keyword phrase you don’t currently rank for, what would it be?
9. Assuming you had never gone into (what you do now), what would you be doing now (professionally)?
I’d be an artist, painting probably, and wondering why I have no money.
10. Do you have any interest in politics? (Or what’s your favorite professional sports team if you don’t want to answer the politics thing).
I’ve always been a Boston Red Sox fan. Growing up right outside of Boston will do that to you. You could hate baseball and still love the Red Sox.
Thank you to @MelaniePhung for writing the questions. And thanks to the following for their participation:
@almacy Digital Strategy Expert
@melaniephung DC SEO Strategist
@martinbowling Zima lover
@utahseopro Utah SEO Consultant
@fairminder Boston Website Design and SEO
@cyandle Google Adwords Professional
@jackleblond VP of Internet Strategy
@djpaisley Digital Communications Strategist
@vinceblackham Utah SEO Expert
@melanienathan Edmonton SEO Expert
@researchgoddess Staffing Social Media Specialist
@monicawright Maine SEO Expert